We’ve been nominated for a Liebster award by the lovely Felicity from DistractedFlick! After reading her post we learned that this is a blogging award given out to bloggers, by bloggers that are new or don’t have a huge number followers. The aim is to encourage other bloggers to keep on blogging and it’s definitely given us a little boost. It’s always nice to know people are enjoying what you write, so massive thanks to Felicity for the nomination and if you haven’t already, then please go check her blog out. There’s plenty of interesting travel articles and she writes in a beautiful and unique way.
As part of accepting the award, we’ve been asked a set of questions and also nominated a few of our own favourite travel bloggers to pass on the love! Here are our answers to Felicity’s questions and you can find our nominations at the bottom of the page.
1. What has been your favourite travel experience so far?
Both: Hitch-hiking in Laos. We got picked up in Vang Vieng by a young Chinese couple who spoke no English so we couldn’t even communicate. Rick had a whatsapp conversation with the guy’s sister in Germany, who could speak English and when we arrived five hours later in Luang Prabang, they bought us a buffet dinner, beers and even tried to pay for our hotel for us. Insane!
2. What has been the biggest learning curve while being away?
Rick: Learning to worry less about things going wrong and get less stressed out when they do.
Ant: I’ve learned just how little you need to live a happy life. I left home with just a bag and I’m always trying to get rid of more.
3. What are you most looking forward to in 2015?
Rick: Trekking to Everest Base Camp. It’s been on my bucket list for years and we plan to do it this year.
Ant: Visiting the Philippines at the end of the year. I’ve wanted to go since seeing my friend Kim’s photos of Borocay. It looks like paradise.
4. Where were you exactly one year ago today? (Geographically)
Rick: Hannover, Germany.
Ant: Manchester, England.
5. With reference to the question above – What were you doing exactly one year ago today?
Rick: Housework or gardening. I volunteered at a guesthouse for two months after quitting my job.
Ant: Probably sleeping.
6. What is your biggest travel regret?
Rick: Generally being a bit lazy whilst travelling and missing out on things. For example, on my first night in the Arctic, a room mate in the homestay invited me for a hike up a hill to see the Northern Lights, I was a bit tired so stayed in. It turned out that the lights were really clear that night, but when I went to look the following night it was too cloudy and I couldn’t see much. FML.
Ant: Not going sooner. I was always held back by fear of the unknown and it took me years to finally pluck up the courage to just go.
7. Why do you blog?
Both: To keep a diary for ourselves, allow friends and family to follow our travels easily and to inspire others with a similar mindset to take the plunge!
8. If you could visit one place right now – where would you go?
Rick: England. I want to go back home for a few days to see friends and family, as well as experience the reverse culture shock of returning home after so long.
Ant: Ice hotel in the Arctic. They look cool as fuck and I really want to see the Northern Lights while I’m there.
9. If you could give one piece of life advice to other travellers, what would you say?
Both: Avoid organised tours, do it yourself and you’ll have a much more fun (and cheaper) experience overall. Don’t be afraid, things will always work out in the end and people will help you out if you need them to.
10. What was your ultimate highlight of 2014?
Both: Rio Carnaval. We can’t go into too much detail, but it was just crazy and any traveller should experience it at least once.
11. Who is your favourite blogger right now?
Both: Omar, In A City Near You. He’s been to tonnes of places, blogs frequently with interesting articles, full of tips and cool photos. Go check him out!
We don’t have much time to read travel blogs whilst we’re on the road, but we’d like to nominate a couple of bloggers who’s blogs we have really enjoyed keeping up with along the way. So in no particular order:
Gypsy In Jeans – One of the first travel blogs we started reading regularly and inspired our design!
Tangman Style – While it’s mostly a food blog, there are a few really interesting travel blogs up with awesome tips included. Besides, even the food articles make a great read.
Omar, In A City Near You – This may be cheating a little, because he already has a tonne of followers and awards, but this is our favourite travel blog to read right now, so we had to show some appreciation, plus we’d really like to know his answers to our questions. You should check it out, he’s been everywhere!
Our questions to you guys are:
1. Why do you blog?
2. What has been your best travel experience?
3. What is your biggest travel regret?
4. What have you learned from travelling?
5. If you could give one piece of advice to your fellow travellers, what would it be?
6. If you could recommend on place in the world that people should visit, where would it be?
7. What’s your worst travel nightmare story?
8. What’s your favourite place that you have visited?
9. Who is your favourite travel blogger right now?
10. Would you rather have explosive diarrhoea for the rest of your life or eat a big bowl of poop once?
Thanks for reading and we look forward to reading the answers to our questions! Don’t forget to leave a comment and like us on facebook @ facebook.com/wanderingblindly
Read how our adventure began: Diary Part 1 – An Unexpected Adventure